Saturday, March 13, 2010

Hi!

For a while now Elsie has been "talking". Too bad we have no idea what she's been saying. We'd give a lot to figure out what's going on in that little brain of hers. She says mamamamama or dadadada regularly, but rarely with any purpose. It's as though she knows the word, but isn't quite sure when to throw it into the rambling sentences she throws together.

Yesterday she was playing with the phone. One of her favoriate toys; it lights up, beeps, rings, and talks back. (She doesn't get to play with it long- her mother is paranoid she'll call China and we'll get some massive bill. Luckily, that hasn't happened yet, however, she did manage to call Grandma and Grandpa Cox early one morning before they were out of bed while we were getting ready for work.) Somehow she managed to get into the answering machine and the phone started replaying all of our saved messages. As they were playing, she'd hold the phone up to her ear and say "Hi!". The first time it happened, I thought I was just hearing things. Then she did it again, and again. I ran for the video camera and she promptly stopped, figures. I guess she had said all she needed.

Today Ryan was at Garmin working on a presentation for class (less distractions there) and he called to talk for a minute. As I was on the phone, Elsie walked into the kitchen, held her hand up to her ear, tilted her head as if she were holding a phone between her shoulder and ear, and said "Hi!". Ryan hung up and I again went for the video camera. This time I got it, and in one take...

Yes, it's only one word, but it's what I consider to be the first, and we're pretty stoked about it. There have been so many moments when I wish she could tell me what was wrong, what she wanted, etc. I know, I know, I should be careful what I wish for...

Sarah, Ryan, and Elsie

1 comment:

  1. I loved hearing her say Hi Dadadadada!!!!!!! K.K.

    ReplyDelete